Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Salsa, anyone?

This program is an exercise in cultural adaptation. It is not only a rare opportunity for observation and appreciation of the Chinese culture but also the culture and heritage of six other countries represented by my colleagues. In his article, 'Achieving Cross Cultural Sensitivity in Management', Jack N. Behrman reminds us that, "Diversity is needed to maintain life itself, and it should be enjoyed rather than declaimed."

With this concept mind, I realized that I must share a piece of my own culture too. This is a responsibility I decided to take seriously today. Here's how I felt my mission was best achieved in 8 easy steps:

1. Battled dozens of people to help our team claim two cabs to get to the nearest Tex-Mex restaurant in Chengdu.

2. Ordered a sampling of the finest Chinese representation of salsa, quesadillas, fajitas, chile con queso and burrito.

3. Watched the expressions of pure satisfaction overcome my colleagues.

4. Ordered a round and demonstrated the best manner of consuming a tequila shot -- with lime and salt, naturally.

5. Watched the expressions of pure happiness and laughter overcome my colleagues.

6. Battled dozens of people to help our team claim two cabs (once again) to get to the nearest Swensen's ice cream restaurant. (It just so happens that this is where Salsa dancing is occurring tonight.)

7. Encouraged the team to learn to Salsa dance.

8. Watched the overheated and dizzy expressions of pure joy overcome my colleagues.

Mission accomplished.

3 comments:

  1. True international leadership in action! Good for you, Tamara.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kang Ta Na,

    congratulations on your arrival. I look forward to reading your blogs. Good luck. Did you pack your Stetson hat and boots (remember real cowgirls don't tuck their jeans into their boots)? Find out how you say "Yee Haa" in Chinese.

    Have a great time.


    Your compadres,

    Eugene, Erin, and Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete
  3. what? no bob wills and the texas playboys?

    ReplyDelete